[access-uk] Re: FW: Tesco and Sainsburys

  • From: "Catherine Turner" <catherineturner2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:05:46 +0100

Hello Ian,

I'm not sure whether this is correct.  The legislation coming into effect in
October is the part that requires people to make adjustments to physical
features.

It's already unlawful to discriminate by several things, including (and I
would think that this would be the one that could apply to Tesco etc,
although obviously I'm not a lawyer) providing a service to a lesser
standard without justification.

So far yes, a case like this hasn't come to court.  Apparently there have
ben cases involving websites that have been settled out of court.  I hope
there will be a test case and then we could point to this in encouraging
service providers to do their jobs properly.

As far as I remember it is individuals who can use the DDA to challenge
discrimination, not groups, but I might be wrong.

So I would encourage everyone dissatisfied to write clear letters of
complaint as said by Julie earlier.

Personally I find the most frustrating thing is I don't actually want to
have to take someone to court etc to get such a simple thing fixed.  Also
that whenever I (and others here it seems) try to talk to them about it they
a) don't pass on the info to the technical people who should know what I am
talking about and b) don't want to listen unless it comes through a charity.
I am a consumer just like everyone else and they certainly wouldn't dare
demand that non-disabled people must speak through charities.

I am going to try not to reply to any more messages on this thread as it
does get annoying after a while and we can't say anything new until people
write letters of complaint.  I just wanted to throw in what I said about the
DDA possibly applying before October.

Catherine

** vacation ## d