[access-uk] FW: ADVICE ON THIS PC

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:01:41 +0100

Hi,

Resending due to message being too large.
Andrew.

Hi,

Ok Sorry to Steve - I didn't realise that the graphics was mentioned on
this message.

Its ok, but there are some things to look out for:

1.  HP used to have a reputation of not providing any recoverable media
with their hardware, it was on a hidden partition on the hard drive
only.  This may have changed since last time I saw this (just after XP
came out) but I would certainly check this before buying.

2.  No monitor included, she will need one even if she has no sight.

3.  No speakers also so you will need to get these.

4.  Appart from Word on this machine none of the other software is
really accessible, so you will probably need to get Office if you want
to do anything like spreadsheets etc.=20

5.  It looks like there will only be one drive in the unit for DVD/CDRW,
meaning that if you need to copy disks you have to copy one disk to the
hard drive then put the other disk to write the files back.  I don't
know the CD burning software you are getting here also so it may or may
not be accessible.

Personally I would stear clear of this machine, go to www.aria.co.uk and
build your own spec - their AMD systems with 512mb ram are very
reasonably priced.  If your friend is a casual user then fine, but with
the addons etc you may need to purchase it may not be such a good deal.

Andrew.

** vacation ## d