[access-uk] Re: External hard drive

  • From: "Stephen Green" <stephen.tina@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:01:00 -0000

I have just bought my second Western Digital My Book essential from Amazon for 75 pounds with free delivery. it took 2 working days to arrive.

it's a 500 Gb drive with USB connection, but if you want to pay more there's a model with firewire connections as well.

I've just backed up 400 Gb of data to it which took about 7 hours so it's about 50% slower than my internal SATA 2 ddrives.

It requires power from the mains and is designed to be always on, automatically powering down when your computer is off, so you won't waste too much electricity.

It's quiet in use and only gets really warm when you've been driving it hard.

Personally, I don't use the stored software for backups, so I can't comment on that aspect of the package.

When connected for the first time it's totally plug and play and after windows has done its "found new hardware" thing, it pops up in the "my computer" screen - job done!

Regards

Steve Green

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Russell" <david.russell8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>