[access-uk] Re: Ethics of book sharing services

  • From: "Justin R" <mypc128@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:35:05 +0100

"Tink Watson"

Justin,

Having been sighted in the not too distant past, I feel the loss very keenly still.

Hi Tink, i bet. One very thing I can't ever imagine myself being V.I. from birth.

I'm very glad indeed of the RNIB >Talking Library. My only reall complaint being that I would like to >be able to choose each book in turn. You know, sometimes you just feel like reading an Agatha Christie and they send you a Terry Pratchett.

Oh, I know what you mean. Each time i choose a list of books, I choose some corkers on there I just can't wait to read! HOwever, sometimes it can take a long while to get to say; an aldus Huxley book, or "the lord of the flies" which I added to my list just before Christmas and.... I'm still waiting to receive that to listen too, lol. So yeah, sometimes I'll get a book that I'm not quite in the mood for and think, I'd have like to have got that at some other point in the year. I'm glad I don't choose books with a Christmas theme, lol!

The other problem is with non-fiction >books. I know the RNIB has the tape library, but so often those taped >books are of such poor quality as to be unbearable to listen to. The work in >digitising the Talking Library books is great, I just hope one day they'll >expand it to the whole library, not just fiction.

Well, i believe that should be the end game for the RNIB's digital talking book service. I've noticed that the non-fiction, topical type of books are not quite as in abundance as your fiction novels etc. It's a great service though however, i think the talking books daisy service is still fairly new, isn't it? So, the choice should, i hope, get much wider. I'm yet to find some books on space, black holes and all subject matter astrological.

Justin

Cheers,
Tink.