[access-uk] Re: End of Freedom?

  • From: Chris Hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 20:03:27 +0100

The fact that you do not like Freedom's practices I am in total agreement with. What I also dislike is that while other screen readers work on any edition of Windows, JAWS has two licenses; Standard for "home" editions and Professional for not only home but all editions of Windows. This I don't think is fair at all, but I guess FS is just following MS's market share. Hopefully this will change.

Signed by Chris Hallsworth

On 07/06/2010 09:06, Jackie Cairns wrote:
Hi

I've always strived to be open and honest in my views on access kit.  The
bottom line is that we need it in order to make our lives as independent as
possible.  Some of it and the companies who manufacture it are better than
others, and there isn't such a thing as a perfect world.  They don't always
get it right, and there is room for improvement with everything.

Having said that, however, I personally don't like Freedom's practices and
the way they treat customers.  It never has sat right with me, and it never
will.  I enjoyed working for Sight and Sound for two years, but I always
held that view which takes nothing away from my former employers and the
high regard I have for them as people.  As a user though, I have to buy and
use what I feel is right for me, and while JAWS will continue to be one of
my tools, there are other and possibly better alternatives that I am
familiarising myself with.  Martin has a Mac as well as a Windows PC running
JAWS, so this is a new adventure and one I am warming to.  We have also
purchased Window-Eyes as an alternative to JAWS.  They all have their place,
and I think it is healthy for the industry, not to mention for the user's
pocket.  I just believe that if Freedom are so arrogant that they can charge
what they like for buggy upgrades that have no significant meaning for your
average user, then it is time for other products to shine.

That's about as diplomatic as I can be! (smile).

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns
jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: "Otto Zamora"<donttreadonme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 05:44:14 -0400

Morning,

In an advocate meeting yesterday, the subject came up reference
Freedom Scientific, the company that among other things sports JFw.
Because the company is in the state of Florida, it came up on  a
flag by

an
analyst.
Seems this company is having bad money troubles, not surprising
given the economy, but talk is that they are now looking to sell
off some of their division, mainly their JFW area.
I am not sure who if anyone will buy this division, considering
that there is an entity now selling a fully integrated package for
only $700.
Besides a comprehensive screen reader, if the user chooses to get
the package, there is a browser, along with a customed and fully
accessible web sites, word processing, and E mail.
all of this can apparently be accessed either on line, or as
individual program.
ad to that, the entertainment mogill, and you have a powerful tool
indeed for the kind of money they are asking for.
Another side of the equation is the apple company, now selling
computers already with speech on board right out of the box and off the
shelf.
Put these two aspects together, and you have a deadly combo that
might very well result in a abrupt end to the JFW program.
Considering the way that technology is growing, older versions of
JFW, will only work for a short while until the programs
controlling the OS, begins to outgrow the application.
In seeing this package, one of the things which was pointed out to
me, was the learning curve, which for the new package being sold by
Mr.. Mike Calvo, is very short.
The user has the option to learn as little or as much as they want
without real loss.

signature database 5174 (20100605) __________

signature database 5175 (20100605) __________

06/06/10 07:25:00