[access-uk] E-learning

  • From: "Theresa Hodge" <theresa.hodge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:25:21 +0100

Hi All

I'm looking at doing a course with the Market Research Society which is an
online training course.  I'm told that the Learning Centre part of their
website is an interactive one, and that the Resource Centre part of the site is
purely text based and backs up what you do in the Learning Centre.

I've had a brief conversation with the contact person at the Market Research
Society, explaining that I'm not sure how accessible the course is going to be,
and therefore I don't want to sign up if this is likely to be a problem.  She
had never had this query before, so offered to go away and find out.  We talked
about the fact that if there are graphics they need to be well labelled so that
a screenreader can read what they are, and she mentioned that there are buttons
that the learner can hover the mouse over to get tips.  She said that it might
be that they could give me an access code to log in and try out the system for
a limited amount of time to see how accessible it is.

I've just had an e-mail back, saying: "Further to our conversation today: I
have contacted our service provider for the on-line course and their advice is
as follows. The images that are in the system do not currently have any tags
attached to them allowing description of the image. The system itself is not
linear, and navigation may prove to be a problem."

I have been given an access key so I can register and log on to the system and
test it out.  I can do this at any time, but once I do register with the
system, I have 48 hours to test out its accessibility.  I'm told the system is
an Imago system.

So - does anyone have any experience of e-learning?  Has anyone come across
this Imago system of online training?

I would be interested in anyone's thoughts!!!

Theresa Hodge
theresa.hodge@xxxxxxxxx