[access-uk] Re: Downloading with the BBC iPlayer

  • From: "Alasdair King" <alasdairking@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:17:25 +0000

Two ways of using iPlayer:

1 Download. This uses Kontiki, same system as Channel 4. You have to
install some software. You download and watch in Windows Media Player.

2 Flash, online. No download. You should (in Internet Explorer) be
able to tab around the page. Here's some of the details:

There are several ways to get to the programmes. Tab about seventeen
times and you'll get to a search box. Type the name of the programme
(e.g. "Ashes to Ashes") and hit return.

The results page loads. These are in a random order. Tab seventeen
times to the search box again, then once more to a button labelled
"Find Programmes", then once more and you're in the results entries.
Each entry has a link followed by another garbage link. Tab until you
get to the programme you were seeking. Hit return.

The page with the programme now loads. It has a big Flash video that
shows the programme, which is again just after the search box
seventeen nineteen tabs in. Tab eighteen times until you get to the
"Find programmes" link and once more to a button. This is the Flash
video. Hit return and it should start playing. Tab around a couple
more times and you should find play, stop and volume controls.

Phew!

Alasdair

--
Alasdair King