[access-uk] Re: DVD players

  • From: "Amro Bilal" <amro_bilal@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:46:34 -0000

Thanks Tony and have a merry Xmas.

Amro
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Cretney" <rac@xxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 4:17 PM
Subject: [access-uk] Re: DVD players

Hi again Andy and Amro

Sorry but I have no real information on this model from an accessibility viewpoint, both my friend and I have limited vision, enough to allow us to access the menus etc when we get very close to the screen.

The reason that CDs sound better on a DVD player is that the laser is much more sensitive on a DVD player than it is on a CD player.

Thinking about what I said in the top paragraph again, I don't think it would be very easy for a person with no vision at all to access the menus on DVDs as these vary quite a lot depending on who produces them. You would need to have some idea as to the layout of menus produced by a number of different companies to be able to access them all. To the best of my knowledge it is the menus that appear on the DVDs themselves that are going to be the most difficult to deal with, and as these are on the discs and not within the players themselves it's difficult to see how they could be accessed with ease by anyone with no sight at all. However, I have no doubt that with practice these like the Sky menus could be accessed. Does anyone on the list without any sight have a DVD player, and if so could they tell us something about how they manage. It's usually fairly easy to access the main film on a DVD, it is the extras that will be the problem for those who cannot see the screen at all.

Best
Tony.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Collins" <Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>