[access-uk] Re: DLL file error

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 21:42:38 -0000

Hi Andy
I am posting below the procedure you should take.  I required this information
for myself and was kindly provided with it by a Mr Paul Traynor, who gives a
lot of support to blind computer users in Ireland.  I do hope Paul will not
mind me posting his response below.

The CHKDSK Tool is used for checking the structure of your hard drives.
Running it from time to time helps prevent small problems from creeping into
the hard drive due to bad shutdowns etc. It can also warn of future disaster
for your hard drive and any data you might have on it. Here's how to run the
CHKDSK Tool

1. Open the "Start Menu then Programs Menu then Accessories menu" and arrow
down to "Command Prompt".
2. If using Windows XP just press enter key on this icon but if using
Windows 7 then press the application key on it and choose "Run As Admin" and
here press enter key. A security screen will pop up, just use keys, "Alt +
Y" for yes and the familiar dark screen of the command prompt window will
open up.
3. Type the following command into the Command Prompt window;

Chkdsk c: /r

And then press the "Enter Key".

4. You will get a message read back to you shortly afterwards saying
something like the following;

"Windows cannot check the status of this drive because its locked, would you
like windows to check for errors on this drive next time it starts?"

At this point, on your keyboard just press the letter "Y" for yes followed
by the "enter Key". Press enter key a second time to ensure you are back to
just the command prompt window.

5. We are now finished in the command prompt window so type in the word;

Exit

And then press the enter key once to return back to the normal windows
environment we are used too.
6. Shutdown your PC or laptop after you have completed the above and after
leaving it turned off for about 10 or 20 seconds restart it again.
Note: Once the computer restarts this time it will take a lot longer to
restart than it normally would, anything up to 30 minutes wouldn't be
unusual so just leave it alone and when it's finished its scanning and
repairing it will eventually go into windows like it always does.
Note: Any future normal start-ups will be just that, the normal ones but
because you are checking your hard drive or drives it will take that bit
longer on this occasion.