[access-uk] Re: Cubase?

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:55:45 +0100

Hello Moti

I think you may have missed the point of my original post otherwise you would
have realised the answers to your questions but I will answer in hopefully
clear terms for you.

1    Cubase is not free, it a commercial sequencing and audio solution, there
are various price points you can get into it starting at under £100 for Cubase
SE and then going up depending on what you want.  Cubase SE is however
perfectly capable in many ways for a novice or undemanding user.  There are no
demo versions of this software.
2    I didn't actually talk about scripts for this software, someone else
perhaps has.  To my knowledge no scripts exist for Cubase with Jaws.  This is
because the software is full of custom controls that all screen readers
struggle with at some level or other, it is therefore not accessible for a
blind computer user because it cannot be scripted.  It's design defeats
scripting rather than the case that no-one has tried or bothered.
3    An alternative is Cakewalk Sonar (a very worthy alternative at that these
days).  This uses more standard windows controls but still needs to be
scripted.  There is (or was) a source of free scripts for which no official
supported exists, or there is Sonar Caketalking for Jaws purhcased as an add on
which is the best supported of all routes currently.  Sonar Caketalking is both
a set of scripts and an interactive tutorial to Sonar software.  This is very
much required because Sonar like all MIDI+audio sequencing software is
necessarily a complex business especially for a screen reader user who has no
experience in this area.  Sonar Caketalking is available through Technovision
Systems (www.techno-vision.co.uk) run by George Bell on this list who is the
dealer for this software.  If you look up Dancing Dots on Google you will find
information online as well.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology