[access-uk] Re: Copying data from one computer to another.

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:34:53 -0000

Hi,

If this is going through a router - i.e, you have access to the net from
both machines through the cable router you installed, then you can do
file sharing through this.

There are a few steps in ensuring that this works:

1.  Ensure that all the machines are located within the same workgroup.
To check this, go into control panel | system properties | computer
name, then click the change button.  Firstly note down the system name
as this will be used later - if it is a load of letters and numbers, you
may want to change it to something more friendly - i.e, I use pc01, pc02
etc.  Then, change the workgroup so that it is the same on both
machines.  For example, I use the workgroup name HODGSON.

2.  You now need to create a folder on one machine that can be shared -
that can be an existing folder if you want.  Do a context menu on that
folder and choose sharing.  You may get a window asking you to enable
file sharing.  If this comes up, just go ahead and click the text that
allows you to enable sharing (will need to be done on both machines).
You then need to tick the radio button "share this folder".  Once you do
this, you can enter in a name for the network share (different from the
folder name if you want - see later).  You can also enter in a
description.  Click OK and the folder is shared.

Now, on the other PC, you need to enter in what is called the UNC
(Universal Naming Convention) path into the run dialog to get to the
share on the other machine.

Here are some examples:

You have shared the folder c:\robert\music on pc01 as a share called
MP3.  To access this share on PC02, go into the start | run command box
on PC02, and type in the following: \\pc01\mp3

This will then give you access to the share, and you can move files to
and from the share.

If you are stuck please let me know, I am running a slightly different
system here and don't have access to a basic workgroup system, so
couldn't refresh myself with all the dialog boxes.  If it really doesn't
work, we may have to use the XP network setup wizard, but take care
running this, as it can sometimes play with existing configurations,
messing them up.

This will give you a much faster/stable connection than USB.

Hope this helps,
Andrew.