[access-uk] Re: Computer switching off

  • From: "kevin and Emma" <kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 17:17:33 +0100

hi, had the same problem with our previous pc. kept happening until off and
on for several months. finally gave up the ghost about a month back. turned
itself off as usual, but instead of rebooting,  it didn't restart! the hared
drive span but nothing happened. the guy who looks after our pc's concluded
taht it was a serious problem with the boot sector on the main hard drive.
you could actually retrieve data from it when put in another machine, you
just couldn't boot from it to run an operating system. i'd make sure your
data is backed up so if yours goes the same way it's easy to retrieve.
thinking back, it happened to that same pc for a while a couple of years
back. turned out in that case it was simply an insufficiently powerful power
supply and fan, so it kept overheating. when we took it out we found it was
a 200 watt supply. we replaced it with a 450w supply with a better fan in it
and all was well! (until the hard drive went) smile.
kevin - (lord l)
"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without
notice"-Will Durant
contact me:
email/msn: kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx
skype: lordandladyl