[access-uk] Re: Choosing/switching mobile phone/providers questions

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:32:53 +0100

Hi Catherine

I definitely can't answer all of your questions, but I'll have a stab at some things you ask.

When you took out your contract with Orange, you should have been given a copy of the terms of agreement, on which, the length of your contract and possibly any clauses would have been listed. If you no longer have this agreement, you would have to ask them over the phone I should think, as I can't imagine it being on your bill. Having said that, I don't know as I've never had a contract mobile phone. And if you try to opt out of your existing contract early, you may have to pay the difference that is outstanding until the contract ends, again, rather like broadband providers. You would need to check this with Orange as I don't know where you would stand.

You can certainly take your existing mobile number with you to another network or contract with the same network. You have to ask them for a PAC code, just the same as you ask for a MAC code when you switch broadband providers. It may take a few days for everything to be transferred to your new network, but you can definitely do it.

As regards accessibility, I know T-Mobile is very good at providing information in alternative formats, and that Vodafone will if you specifically ask. I've never done it personally, but I know of friends who have, and found it satisfactory to get a Braille manual or bills in large print or Braille, for example.

As for phones themselves, the N82, N95 and some others are good handsets and should be offered to you under a good contract deal if you shop around. If you have TALKS already, you would need to pay £50 to get an upgrade for a new phone which, in my personal opinion, is money so well worth spending. I would imagine that you could use your phone as a modem as well.

Remember though that if you switch to another network on contract or Pay-As-You-Go, and you use your existing SIM card, you would need to make sure that the new phone is unlocked if the network is different to Orange.

I'm sure others will chip in with plenty of advice, but these are my initial thoughts in response to your message.

Good luck.

Jackie

Email: cairnsplace@xxxxxxx