[access-uk] Re: Chip and pin online banking.

  • From: "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 13:19:40 +0100

Hi DJ.

The software approach is used by major financial institutions to control
access to their networks and these businesses will have had their own
dedicated security teams vetting out the applications but I agree that it's
easy to think that a key fob would seem beyond hacking.  The key fobs do
seem very reliable as they're nothing more than a bit of plastic with a
small display and so no moving parts or the like.  These of course don't
take a card to be inserted and I can see how those may be less reliable to
wear and tear.

For those interested in the software approach, here's a link to one of the
leading providers of software authentication applications
http://www.rsa.com/node.aspx?id=1156

Worth passing on to any banks looking at introducing new authentication
processes.

Regards.

Kevin
E-mail: kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx