[access-uk] Re: Charity for blind hits out at Bromley council (From News Shopper)

  • From: "Janet Tuggey" <janet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:43:26 -0000

Janet & Wheat, the silly Shepherd cross
-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 12 January 2011 10:33
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Charity for blind hits out at Bromley council (From
News Shopper)

Hello,

here in Kent we have a system whereby you can borrow audio books on line.
More and more, we are likely to find services being provided online only,
rather than in offices. It is in our interest therefore, to ensure we keep
local authorities on their toes:

1. By doing all we can to ensure the online book borrowing service is both
accessible and usable. One problem I've had with ours is that you can put
six books in your shopping basket, but you have to proceed to the check-out
within 30 minutes or you lose the books. However, every time you put a book
into the basket, you waste a lot of time navigating around the system from
almost the start of the process, to find your next book. Without the skip
navigation buttons, and having to "drill down" through too many pages per
book, you don't get a lot of real value out of your 45 minutes worth. It's
like having to get from London to Manchester in three hours, when sighted
people can go straight there, but users of speech and keyboard are sent via
Cornwall on a slow train that stops at every lamp-post.

2. We need to ensure that the computer systems in our libraries are both
accessible and usable for those who don't have internet access at home. Once
again you have 30 minutes per session, but may not be able to do anywhere
near all the things that a sighted person could do in that time. Also, we
need to make sure that the computers they introduce are not solely
touch-screen-based.

It's cheaper to provide services online, essentially courteous, efficient
self-service, than to keep open loads of premises and employ loads of
customer services staff, so the push towards digital by default may lead to
more and more closures of smaller, traditional libraries...and other
services too. I think we need to keep our wits about us to make sure that
technology and websites are accessible. I don't know how you would get on
going to a library where the access technology is HAL/Supernova and you are
a Jaws user, for example. In theory, you could then go to a jobcentre and
find either nothing at all, or WindowEyes. In order to access all online
services through public access terminals, would we need to know our way
around all speech access software, not just our preferred speech?  Some
libraries are reluctant to put speech onto all their terminals for reasons
of confidentiality, and for fear that lots of speakers babbling different
texts would disrupt other users. The  words Phones and head spring to mind.

Best,
Clive

Best,
Clive

Clive Lever
Diversity Advisor
01622 221163 (extension 7000 1163) Room 1.15, Sessions House, County Hall,
Maidstone, ME14 1XQ.
Diversity is a strength and we will value and harness difference for the
benefit of all service users, the individual and KCC.