[access-uk] Re: Can Someone Help?

  • From: "Theresa Hodge" <theresa.hodge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:08:06 +0100

Hi Tony and All

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this discussion.

I think I've answered everyone's further points that were made after my
message, but below are some questions I asked and answers I got from the people
I'm working with.  Oh, just one more comment ... I know you can tab round forms
on websites in order to get to the field names, but sometimes found that I
didn't get all the information I needed so tended to use the cursor to navigate
down the page so it read the whole question to me.  Maybe this was why I picked
up some of the problems I did, and whether I was causing myself more problems
than I needed to?  Anyway, see below:-

Comments From Theresa to Those Designing Questionnaire Online

Being able to adjust the text size through my web browser is good.  Has anyone
asked Graham to look at this with screen magnification?

I find it a bit confusing that in each question (for example) my screenreader
says "E-mail Address:) then it says "E-mail" and then I get to the edit box
where I put my e-mail address in.  Having then put it in I find that it's
optional.  I understand that the reason it says the field name (E-mail) twice
is to do with how it's written in HTML, so if nothing can be done about this
it's OK.  Oh, I've just realised that this seems to change further down?

In the questions where you have to rate your experience, I wonder if this could
have been done better with a drop-down list of the different numbers?  Again,
this may involve too much work to do this.

Again, I wonder if some of the other questions where we have radio buttons so
people select one could have been done with a drop-down list.

Where we ask if adjustments were made and then ask people to rate their
experience, this seems to read a bit differently from the previous rating
questions.  I get the question, then the list of numbers, then "Radio button, 1
of 5", "Radio button 2 of 5", and so on.  I know that "Radio button 2 of 5" is
going to relate to 2, but I'm not sure why this one reads differently because
it looks as if it's laid out the same.  I think this is the same with the
following questions where people have to rate their experiences, but must admit
to have only flicked through the rest quickly.

When people submit their questionnaire, do they get a message to confirm that
it has been submitted?

Sorry!  That's rather a lot of comments!!

Theresa

Response to my Comments:-

Theresa,

The "issue" about being told everything twice by JAWS is because we have been
following the W3C's WAI guidelines.  I could give you the detailed technical
explanation but it would take a while.  The short answer is that some screen
readers need some extra code behind and JAWS seems to be picking this up as
well.

As for drop-downs instead of radio buttons, there are arguments for and against
both.  I think this is something that we should discuss for future
questionnaires, but that we should defer to the researchers in most instances
unless there are technical considerations that affect it.  Would anyone else
like to comment?

I hope this helps.

Martyn

Any more comments from Access UK list members?

Thanks.

Theresa Hodge
theresa.hodge@xxxxxxxxx