From: "william lomas" <will.d.lomas@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 12:50 PM
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Cable, Freeview or Freesat

Well you do ahve the RNIB talking freeview box that reads
all EPG info etc. and it completely speech-enabled apart
from interactive services and you can't record programs.

That costs around 99 GBP from RNIB online shop

info here

http://www.rnib.org.uk/shop/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=tv0401

On 25 Mar 2011, at 12:32, Carol Pearson wrote:

Hi all,

We've been Cable customers for ages but are considering
moving either to Freeview or Freesat and would be
grateful if you could help us to look at these
alternatives as we don't know a great deal.  The cost is
obviously going to be one benefit, since we're only
going to have one initial layout, presumably?
Primarily, though, for various reasons we're tired of
being tied to Cable and just a few, rather
unknowledgeable engineers who visit.

This has all recently come to a head as, with various
movings around, our workable setup has gone wrong once
again and no current Cable engineer seems to be able to
put it right and we have no knowledgeable friends who
can either.  I should explain that our setup to date has
been that our TV has retained the terestial channels for
our use primarily so that we could continue to use our
analog video, with Cobolt's handset.  In addition, Cable
was tuned to another channel so we didn't miss anything
there we wanted, plus audio description, of course.
This gave us real flexibility.  Now, however, nobody has
the knowledge to retune the TV and it's considered it
could be a TV fault anyway.

If we're going to purchase a new TV then we may as well
think possibly Freeview enabled.

OK, here are a few questions to get us started:

1.    Are the channels on Freeview the same as those one
would get on Freesat?

2.    Has anyone yet found a good and reliable way to
record programmes in our absence as a totally blind
person with either of these two alternatives?

3.    How good is the freeview coverage across the
country these days?

4.    How high does the dish need to be seated
(generally) for good reception using Freesat?  (We only
have a bungalow, so no second floor ...)

Any help on the above would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Carol P

link:-
**