[access-uk] Re: COUNCIL POLICY TO WAIVE SIGNATURE WHEN VOTING BY POST

  • From: "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:38:36 -0000

I've also taken the waiver option.  Seems to me that there's really no
vulnerability there at all.  When you vote, you will mark the candidate that
you wish to vote for and send back the form.  So, what's the worst that can
happen?  Someone is going to sign their name or fictitious name and
therefore make the vote unsound and not counted?  The vote can be spoiled in
any number of ways if there's a lack of control in the processing.

By not taking the waiver you are actually more vulnerable in that your
signature will be compared to that which is kept on file and your vote not
counted.

I was told by the council that they have powers to check a waiver to ensure
the person has been registered as blind.  There are going to be many areas
of public service that have access to the same information so if you were
worried about being identified and singled out for unscrupulous conmen, that
could happen anyway and this isn't really a significant increase to that
risk in my opinion.

Regards.

Kevin
E-mail: kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx