[access-uk] Re: C Cleaner.

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:57:59 +0100

Hi Douglas, I've been looking around for a simplified
explanation of Microsoft's error reporting, but seem to be
hitting a brick wall.

From a user's point of view, errors are generally handled in
two ways.  1) They happen, and are regarded as "tough luck",
so you restart the application or re-boot.  2) You allow
your system to send error reports to Microsoft, who in turn,
may or may not pass these reports on to participating
developers with the hope that the reports may identify flaws
in their software.

I'm fairly well versed in the latter, and have seen how this
can help greatly in developing improved software.  However,
there are occasions when you may have said "No!  Do not send
info to Microsoft about this error."  However, as a safety
measure, the error report will be "queued", just in case it
is required later to identify an on-going problem.

On the other hand, the archived ones generally indicate that
some action has been taken, and that someone has the
information contained in them.  (Although this is not a
golden rule)

So basically, you can generally get rid of the lot unless
you are having on-going problems.

George.