[access-uk] Re: BT 195

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:15:30 +0100

Glad to hear Derek you are pleased with BT service, and yes, if you let them
know you are visually impaired or have other needs making the phone that
much more necessary, they are quicker off the mark than they would otherwise
be.

It still makes more sense to me though to have directory enquiries as part
of the service you buy from BT, and not a paid for extra for most folk as it
is now.  One of the main reasons, so I seem to recall, for us getting the
195 service was at that time there were still a considerable number of blind
telephonists;  not so now.  For banks etc to have to pay directory enquiry
charges was felt to undermine the competitiveness of VI telephonists.

Personally, I felt it was one of the loonier idealogical free market
nonesenses foisted on us at that time.  The idea that if something works
pretty well, as the old 192 service did, then take the proverbial sledge
hammer to it!

There's no reason why those days of not bothering with such choices as
directory enquiry service shouldn't return.  The phone companies could
decide just to buy chunks of use for us subscribers.  That way we wouldn't
have the pulava of signing up for a 'special service'.

Still, I suppose there are those who think we should have a separate service
like some think there should be separate web pages just for us!

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx