[access-uk] Re: BBC iPlayer iPhone app imminent | News | TechRadar UK

  • From: Peter Holdstock <peterholdstock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:06:12 +0000

Baring in mind that the BBVC news app was useless to voice over users, I'm guessing the Iplayer app will take a similar form and probably won't work. Let's hope I'm wrong though. I did contact them re inaccessibility of the news app but received no response.

Peter

-----Original Message----- From: Jonathan
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:59 AM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: BBC iPlayer iPhone app imminent | News | TechRadar UK

Regarding the lack of Android app mentioned in this article, there
have already been two excellent and perfectly functioning iPlayer apps
released on the Android market.

However, the BBC forced them to be removed.
Incidentally, I've had to manually scrape the BBC's website and bodge
a link together to help a blind friend get Radio 5 and 5 live
podcasts, because 3 months after being notified, they STILL haven't
fixed their broken podcasts lists. It took me 20 minutes.

Amazing, isn't it? How many £billion do they get? And how much is
squandered on things like the already technically obsolete DAB system?

Grrrr. Rant over!

On 29 January 2011 09:41, Gordon Keen <gordonkeen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/bbc-iplayer-iphone-app-imminent-924056

BBC iPlayer iPhone app imminent

The BBC iPlayer app for iOS devices, including the iPod, iPad and iPhone, is
nearing launch and should be in the App Store for February.

This is according to PaidContent who have been given the nod by an unnamed
source that Apple users will soon be able to watch the iPlayer on their
portable devices without having to go through the laborious task of viewing
content through a web browser.

It's been a long time coming for the BBC iPlayer app to enter the App Store.

Announced way back in February 2010, the app was meant to be in place before
2010 was out but never actually made it to market.

This was because the BBC Trust had to look into whether the iPlayer app,
alongside a dedicated news and sports app, were the right thing for the BBC
to release.

It turns out apps were part of the company's raison d'etre, which promptly
brought on the release of the hugely successful BBC News app and gave the
greenlight for the iPlayer on the App Store.

No Android

Unfortunately there is still no word as to whether Google Android will get
an official iPlayer app.

Considering Erik Huggers is departing at the end of February to snuggle up
next to Will.i.am at Intel, and massive job cuts have been announced for the
web arm of the BBC, it's unlikely we will see an Android version of the
iPlayer anytime soon.

Via PaidContent