[access-uk] Re: BBC Iplayer

  • From: "Rays Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:45:36 +0100

I'm not a BCAB member but I can identify with the comments regarding getting VI
people to go further than voicing their complaints and generally having a good
moan.  Yes, I know Colin, you take a committed stand on issues of
accessability, but many potential organisers and doers are often ground down by
the cheer inertia of the blind community these days.

I know what I'm talking about too.  I'm now part of a new Sandwell based VI
pressure group and soon this will be registered as a charity but of the four
hundred members it reckons to hav have signed up  no more than half a dozen do
much if anything at all.

The issue of mobilizing vi people to get involved and well, do anything at all,
is maybe one that should be brought up on vi-gen but I find a feeling of total
high powered inertia coming on, and I know there'd be no damned response let
alone interest in the issue either.

On which note maybe I'd better go out, enjoy the nice weather have a drink or
two or more, and forget about it.

Cheers,
Ray.
          From: Colin Fowler

          Hmmmmmm, and is Julie Shiller a screen reader user? Not another
sighted person that uses a screen reader from a sighted
          persons perspective of testing applications?

          Eric Hugger is the head of future media and technology and Andrea
Kalander the head of diversity, I think that we should be petitioning people
with  that seniority for improvements, after all they are answerable for any
infringements to accessibility and equality.

          I've viewed the BCAB archive on the I Player thread, and apart from
one message that demonstrated just what and how systemic the problem at the BBC
is, there didn't seem to be anything of any more interest.

26/07/2008 16:18

16:18