[access-uk] Re: BBC Iplayer

  • From: "Rays Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:17:01 +0100

Agreed Colin.  It is a very bad example - as if things weren't hard enough with
website developers anyway.

Another site I want to take issue with is Silk Sound books, who have well read
downloadable books for the same price you'd pay for a paper back in the shops.
The website has a an announcement you cannot shut up which of course interferes
with most using a soundcard for their speech.  They've also started
distributing their newsletter in graphical image form, which is no use to me.

There just seems so much damned crass indifference to our needs, and often on
sites like Silk Sound Books who you would have thought would have VI readers in
mind  to sell books to.  So much for us as a "market" argument.  didn't work
for the Sonus Radio so no wonder we look to legistlation for a solution.

Sorry to go on a bit, but I certainly hope the IPlayer problem gets solved
soon, but we've so little voice when it comes to publicising these issues;  and
thats another shortcoming of programme policy and coverage in this case.

Cheers,
Ray.

      From: Colin Fowler

      Hmmmmmm, and is Julie Shiller a screen reader user? Not another sighted
person that uses a screen reader from a sighted
      persons perspective of testing applications?

      Eric Hugger is the head of future media and technology and Andrea
Kalander the head of diversity, I think that we should be petitioning people
with  that seniority for improvements, after all they are answerable for any
infringements to accessibility and equality.

      I've viewed the BCAB archive on the I Player thread, and apart from one
message that demonstrated just what and how systemic the problem at the BBC is,
there didn't seem to be anything of any more interest.

16:18