[access-uk] Re: Audio Description Paralympics Closing Ceremony

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:34:41 +0100

Interestingly I forgot to get the headphones for audio described for the Athletics Finals so perhaps I had the enhanced commentry. I think my hearing is normal but probably not enhanced, I would have said the commentry in the stadium was as at any sports event, nothing particularly enhanced, whatever enhanced means. I found the commentry slightly distorted and of course very fast as it had to be for the sport taking place. We were given the names of each athlete in whatever lane but I would have liked to have known what their disability was, sorry if that sounds crude, I do not mean it to be. For example, my brother told me that one athlete had one arm only, now I would have liked to know for example of that group, how many were running on blades etc, obviously my brother could see this but I was unaware of it unless I knew about all athletes. Oscar was there and of course he won his race but then he is someone that was spoken of a lot in the media so I knew he was on blades for example. I think it would have enhanced my over all enjoyment if there had been some form of audio description, even if it was something prepared in advance and just spoken to the headphone prior to the race. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>