[access-uk] Re: Audio Description

  • From: "ANDY COLLINS" <Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 16:24:48 -0000

Let me see if I can help here - I think it's understood that not all TVs with
built-in free view have AD, and not all external free view boxes have it
either. In my experience, the place to look, is under configuration from within
the menu screen. If you go for an external free view box, then it doesn't
matter about the TV, the important thing is that the free view box has ad, so
again, check the configuration menu, AD will probably be several screens below
that configure menu, so, in pretty much all cases, I think sighted help is
required to get set up.

I have an Alba free view box, and once the AD was turned on for me, I can turn
it on and off using a button on the remote. A good thing about this Alba box is
that I can learn the menus, as pressing the menu button always seem to start me
off at the same place. The unfortunate thing is however, that these Alba
boxes--sold by Argos--seem to be no longer available, so could be hard to track
down; these free view boxes were provided through the digital switch over help
team, who provide the necessary equipment for blind people--and the elderly--
that enables one TV to work at the time of analogue switch off.

 I know somebody that has recently bought the TVONICS MDR240 from Comet for
£39, which has AD, and works well. Other than the above, have found AD on free
view boxes very hard to find. I have no actual expderience with it built-in to
TV sets.

Hope this helps in some way -

Andy