[access-uk] Audio Described tv

  • From: "David Russell" <david.russell8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-Uk@Freelists. Org" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 08:59:51 +0100

Hi,

I have just had an email from a blind friend who receives her tv signals
using a freeview box.  I do not know which make or model of freeview box,
but will try to find out.  She has been told by someone at RNIB that it is
not possible to receive audio described tv channels with a freeview box
unless it is the Netgem player.  I use Virgin media, formerly NtL, and get
audio description that way, but surely anyone with freeview, no matter how
they receive it, should be able to get the audio description from the
channels which broadcast it.

I have told my friend that she should be able to receive AD, and she is
going to let me have details of her set top freeview box, but if I am
totally wrong and you can't get AD from a normal freeview box, then someone
please put me right.

David