[access-uk] Re: Apple unveils iPad tablet device

  • From: "James & Nash" <james.austin1984@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:56:31 +0000

Hi Tristram,

I think the  main thing to remember is that, yes, Apple products do cost more
at the outset, but when you consier taht when you buy a PC you then may still
need to purchase JFW or WE etc for even more money. So depending on where you
are in the world, you could be spending up to and beyond 1000 GBP just to use a
PC. If you bought a MacBook for example - or a Mac Mini, you would be paying
around 750 GBP and could use the computer straight out of the box. Moreover,
you would not be paying for updates to the Screen Reader unless you wanted to
buy the new OS when it is released. Every time Apple releases an incremental
update i.e. 10.6.3, you would get all the benefits that it offers for VO
without paying the 125 USD that FS asks you to pay.

Regarding the E-Book accessibility, I have E Mailed Apple to ask them about
this, and I'l post any response they give me here.

Having said all this though, I don't think that the IPad is something that I
would pay for, but I think the idea of a touch screen using the VO concept of
object navigation is a really good one and gives us as Blind users the ability
to finally understand visual concepts of positoin and placements etc.

TC
James