[access-uk] Apple alternative was: New radio devices

  • From: Gordon Keen <gordonkeen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:51:32 +0100

Hi

Well getting to grips with voice over is as steep a learning curve as changing from JAWS to say HAL or any other screen reader. Some aspects are very difficult to come to terms with and I am still learning with the help of some very helpful people on a couple of lists for blind mac users.

As to applications, well I use the text editor that is bundled with the mac, Apple mail for my email client and safari for my browser. Audio can be either via quicktime or i tunes both standard applications which work out of the box. I have an advantage in that my son, who is a computer professional, can write pearl scripts and other useful stuff like that which makes some tedious keystrokes etc a lot easier but there are people out there who are doing very well without any help and I urge anyone who wants to know more to join one of the lists or sub to the screenless switchers podcast so they can ask others with more experience for there thoughts about the benefits of switching.
Regards,

From glorious Devon, England.

(Where the Sun always shines and all the children are above average.)

On 1 Apr 2008, at 10:19, phil stephenson wrote:

Ok Gordon, all sounds very impressive and I have to say I am seriously
toying with switching to a Mac once this laptop dies a death which may be
sooner than I want to think!

At risk of starting another thread though I would really like to hear either on or off list what you're using for such things as word processing, how
you're getting on with voiceover and Safari and how you've found the
switchover in general and anything else you'd like to comment that help push
me further Mac-wards!!

Cheers,

Phil