[access-uk] Re: Anoying 'transparant' word on website

  • From: "Adrian Higginbotham" <adrian.higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:43:46 -0000

A simple case of some one going alt tag crazy and adding a textual title
to every image. User end fix is to switch your screenreader to ignore
all graphics on the site. Note that by default jfw identifies tagged
graphics but ignores untagged ones.  Delivery side fix is to advise the
website editor to remove alt tags from all the graphics which are not
related to the content of the site. Alternatively if they are concerned
about automated test tools which fail pages for not having alt tags on
images then change the alt tags on esthetic only images to a null alt
tag EG a tag which has no content such as alt="" although this is a hack
and a little unsatisfactory.

Adrian Higginbotham
Accessibility and inclusion adviser
British Educational Communications and Technology Agency - BECTA
Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Internal extension #2287
Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/
BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ