[access-uk] Re: Accessible Listen Again 2.3

  • From: Douglas Harrison <harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:35:06 +0100

Ian,
I would entirely agree if  this was commercial software.

But as I understand it until about 12 months ago these programs were
being developed by a team at Manchester University of which Alasdair
King was a member.  After he left the University Alasdair undertook
to continue to support and develop them because he felt that they
were helping certain members of the visually impaired community.
However he is having to do so largely in his own time (unpaid, as far
as I know) and may be unable to do as much rigorous testing as he
would like.  I have often had messages from him about issues I have
raised sent very late at night or in the early morning - one even
arrived on Boxing Day!

The lack of sound in 2.3 of Accessible Listen AGain which I reported
to him at the weekend was an odd one because on his own test machines
he got sound.  He certainly did not release the program knowing that
there was a problem.

Hope that clarifies the position a little,

Douglas

--

Douglas Harrison