[access-uk] Re: Accessible Internet Radio

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:50:19 -0000

Well Ray, being completely cynical as well as smiling all the time over my new toy, I think that if we hadn't taken the plunge, we'd never know. I'm not hanging about to wait and see if an organisation will come up trumps and charge us twice the price for the privilege, adding a load of other features to a product to justify themselves like DAISY. If I wanted a DAISY player, I'd get one. If I wanted to subscribe to TNAUK, I'd do it. I wouldn't wait for an Internet radio to come out, or for them to decide when or if we could have it. So I did what I knew would be the only way and browse to see what is currently available. There are about eight different models in Argos. I just wrote down the catalogue number of two, and Ian went for the first choice on my bit of paper.

I must warn you though that this isn't for the faint-hearted, and I never thought it would be. I haven't done anything else with it yet as I've got it hooked up to the hi-fi and listening to a radio station. This unit lets you play music from your PC, and it has a USB port to connect a pen drive or memory stick. There is also an ethernet port and wireless capability, as well as a headphone socket.

I'm going to see if I can rake for an accessible manual, or perhaps try to scan the print instructions that come with it.

More later.

Jackie
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>

Hi All

Well this is one extremely smiley, delighted person posting here.  The
two
Ians disappeared this morning and came back with one of the Internet
radios
I had earmarked from Argos.  Young Ian, who is on day off from Comet
on a
Tuesday, helped his dad set it up.

It is an Intempo Internet Radio.  It looks a bit like the first Evoke,
but
without the handle on top.  When Ian powered it up, it wanted to
connect to
our network, so we had to put in the security key which he did for us.
Then
it asked if we wanted to select stations or Windows Media Player, and
we
went for stations.  Then it asked if we wanted to select by genre or
location, so we went for the latter.  Ian then proceeded to rotate the
dial
for Sky Radio in the Netherlands, which he promptly found and allowed
it to
find.  Hey presto! I am now listening to Sky Radio while I write this.

There is no doubting that from the little we have seen of this radio,
you
need to get some initial sighted assistance.  Ian preset it for us as
the
radio has 99 of them.  I think this is crucial if you are to stand any
chance whatsoever of getting anything out of it.  Interestingly, when
you
turn the radio off and power it back up again, it defaults to the last
station you were using.

It's very early days yet, but if anyone is interested in what else we
can
get out of it, I'll gladly post privately or on list.  I can also
supply
details of the make and model if you want to know.  But we are just
exploring it at the moment, so will be able to tell you a little more
later.

From a very smiley Jackie, whose Christmas has come today instead of
when
she was meant to have it.