[access-uk] Re: Accessible Internet Radio

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:22:54 -0000

Jackie and others, I'm late coming in on this thread, but I did try to
get some discussion going last year about the Horizon Internet Radio,
but no interest was forthcoming.  I'm glad to hear it is still under
development, and the makers are doing quite well in a few parts of the
world.

The RNIB trials - and God and the heavenly host of RNIB Corporation
will decide if we get to hear about the outcome! - were aimed as much,
me thinks, at a notion that a device like this would be good for
keeping in touch with customers!  Yes, the great RNIB has admitted it
was flummoxed over how precisely to get in touch with Talking Book
customers around the time of the postal strike and co-incidentally,
when it's TB service went pare shaped.  A streaming service might meet
such a need.

TNAUK may be coming at this from the angle of delivering talking
newspapers in the digital age when the cassette, in a few years, has
gone to its timely grave.  I'm not surprised in the least you've heard
nothing from them!  That's all the more telling and ironic given that
TNAUK and some local TN's are alarmed at the falling off of TN
subscriptions.    I'm tempted to make the not altogether retort, if
they can't be arsed to communicate with me, why should I listen to
them!

I might add, Jackie and others, that another means of addressing the
cassette replacement problem is the NewsBridge, also seemingly
trialled by some, including TNAUK.No communication on this one either,
surprise surprise!  It's a USB device with a speaker for playing back
talking newspapers and other mags etc. and of course would operate via
the postal system as cassettes do now.  A recording system and
duplication device capable of copying to multiple UsB sticks is part
of this system.  I did get the mereest suggestion of a reply from the
development team assuring me that the audio editor being developed for
TN production would be accessible for screen reader use -JFW being
mentioned - but why wouldn't it be self voicing and script independent
like say the APH Studio Recorder?  (Just that I believe in these days
of dire lack of opps for VI people, we should have some place in
producing stuff that's for us, (and by us) in some instances.

I tend to think or suspect many of these 'private' trials are aimed as
much to prove the pre-conceptions of the developers and like just
about everything in our lives we'll end up with what the Great and
Good of our world who run our services, some of them no more than
mercenaries, decide to sell us.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx