[access-uk] Re: Accessible Internet Radio

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:21:36 -0000

Well Jackie, one thing we've always been good at in Britain is fudging
and half measures.  The issue of stand-alone InternetRadios and the
associated DAB radio issue are, after all, only two examples of the
whole range of equipment embedding digital processing and using menus
through visual displays.  You could multiply the examples these days
almost without end;  i.e. DVD players, PvR's and so many household
gadgets too.

If disability legislation were ever to be really meaningful all of
these issues would have to be addressed.  Not's let forget too the
issues of access facing other groups.  It is because of the
wide-ranging implications of the 'crisis' to use Graham's word, that
we are facing that no one is prepared to breach the 'leave it up to
the market and Governments mustn't interfere' ideology that so
certainly holds back a legal solution to this problem.

So the fudging will consist of making a few devices available which
will no doubt be sanctioned, in effect, by those who claim to
represent us.  Sorry if this is boring political stuff, but I cannot
see for the life of me (sic!) a way out of the crisis that Jonathan
Mosan for one saw around six or seven years back in the proliferation
of inaccessibility of so much of the machinery we use in daily living,
including at that time, cash points and mobile phones, to name but two
devices.  The latter has been solved of course at a price!  Cash
points are only one example of something we cannot make accessible by
individual forking out of money.

Its hard to see this situation as anything other than a creeping form
of apartheid..

Sorry for the rantish nature of this, but of course its an issue that
won't surface in any election or manifesto in what's left of my life.

Cheers,

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx