[access-uk] Re: Accessibilty and the iPad: First Impressions | ATMac

  • From: "James & Nash" <james.austin1984@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:17:47 +0000

Hi Ibrahim

I am only just learning to script, but yes, I believe that the things you are
asking about are  indeed possible. As I understand it,  AppleScript, the
scripting language - or at least of of them that can be used on Mac OS X  can
be used by everything including VoiceOver. Scripting can also be used to
manipulate applications and create them.

However, because Mac OS X is built using the CoaCo framework, scripting is not
a necessary feature. Developers code in this language because as far as i
understand it, CoCo gives them an extremely rich feature set and because Apple
are very keen on consistency across their operating system. However, the fact
that scripting is there allows users to extend Voice Over's capabilities, much
as the scripting JAWS uses provides the same capability for Windows suers.

As I said though, I am not a programmer and so I cannot really explain what I
mean clearly enough. If you are interested to learn more, would you consider
joining the Mac Visionaries list where their are people who can answer your
questions. You can also find info on the underpinnings of Mac OS X and the
scripting power of the operating system on the Apple website.

TC
James, Lyn Nash & Twinny