[access-uk] Re: Accessibilty and the iPad: First Impressions | ATMac

  • From: "James & Nash" <james.austin1984@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:34:42 +0000

Hi Ibrahim,

Just thought I'd chime in here with a comment or two in rebuttal to yours
smile. I'm sure Lyn will come back with a few of her own too.

I'm afraid you are misinformed, the Mac does indeed provide scripting
capability for Voice Over - although it does not need it it does exist which I
think is a good thing. In fact, the scripting capability is open to the entire
operating system not just VO. This has been a controversial issue for some Mac
users who belittled Apple for including this feature in Snow Leopard - and they
know what I think of that, so I won't bore you all here.

Of course Mac OS X supports Grade 2 Braille - all be it only in American, but
as I said in an earlier post, if users or potential users would like foreign
language Braille, they can get it from:

http://www.cecimac.org

I fully agree with you that there are other Screen Readers besides JAWS and
Window-Eyes, but all of them apart from Narrator are bolt-ons. Voice Over on
the other hand, is an integrated part of the operating system and this fact -
though perhaps small does show.

Not to be personal Ibrahim, but from your comments, you obviously have not
spent enough time with the latest version of the mac OS, . Perhaps it might be
an idea to do that so that you can see exactly where the articles from the
American Blindness organisations try to deceive potential users. Oh and by the
way, these organisations have been forced to eat humble pie and apologise for
misleading people.

TC
James, Lyn, Nash & Twinny