[access-uk] Re: Accessibility of Tiger OS

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:27:36 -0000

I'd only say Tink that it is very early days yet.  I think people can have
legitimate doubts as to exactly how much development effort will go into the
field of accessibility for VI people with the Mac and the next couple of years
should show us how serious and how far Apple is prepared to go.  I was only
trying to point out that at least, as far as I understand it, Safari now has
rather more keyboard support than it once did.  I'm unlikely though to have the
money to spare to see for myself.  I'd be very interested to know whether the
ability to assign keystrokes in the Apple operating system has any relevance to
our needs, and how much, if at all, Apple script can be enlisted in making
things easier for us.

The Windows screen readers, with some help from Microsoft it has to be said,
have come a very long way in the last ten years.  For that reason I am not
about to rush out and buy a Mac, and most PC users who use mainstream office
applications won't either.

People working in the multimedia industry, including sound, might have some
hopes, seeing how dominant the Mac is there, but I think they'd better not be
holding their breath.  (smile)
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx

    From: Phil Stephenson

    Yup, have had a couple of total Mac fans raving about using apple mac'S.  I
CURRENTLY USE WIN xp PRO WITH jaws 7 AND AM NOT UNHAPPY BUT I DID USE A MAC
SOME 10 YEARS OR SO AGO WHEN I COULD USE SCREEN-ENLARGEMNET SOFTWARE.  so MY
QUESTION IS A GENREAL ONE AT THIS STAGE, ANYONE OUT THERE USING A Mac AND IF SO
HOW DO THEY FIND THE ACCESSIBILITY OF tiger AND THE RANGE OF Mac programs
available.  Yeah I know any switch would require a lot of dosh but that's not
my key question at this stage.

    Hopefully I won't be shot simply for even suggesting the switch from
windows to Mac!!

    Look forward to receiving your comments,

    cheers,

    Phil

    p.s. sorry about the caps lock being on for part of this!!!