[access-uk] Re: Access to support

  • From: Brendan Magill <brendan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 16:16:02 +0100

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear your tale of woe; it all looked very promising a few months ago.

It is quite right that Access to Work could not provide you with support until you had a start date. However, you did indicate in your posting that you were subsequently notified of a start date, so could then have obtained AtW support. If you still have a start date on the table, even just for a day or two, you can start the AtW process.

As far as which job you do is concerned, it does sound as if your employer has moved the goalposts there, but I can't be sure whether he might not be using the "all other duties" catchall clause. The contract of employment should clarify that matter. But, without going through some formal process, your employer cannot just change your job completely.

AtW could potentially provide some support that might help you. AtW can provide both advocacy and job redesign consultancy, but only if the employer is willing to cooperate. It sounds to me as if you might well benefit from both of these types of support.

As for who might take on such work, there should be no problem if it is to be paid for by AtW, since they will pay appropriate fees. However, if you cannot get AtW support, probably because there is no start date currently on the table, then things become much more difficult. Action or RNIB might be interested, though I'm not sure how strong Action is in Scotland. I'd offer to take it on myself, but I don't have the financial resources to do that unless AtW or someone else will put up the money.

I do understand your frustration and disappointment and I'd be happy to talk to you privately either by email or phone to see if we can work something out that might help you move forwards. Whatever happens, I'd guess that you would not wish to work for this particular manager.

Since this is an employment matter, rather than a technology one, you might do well to raise it on the UKVIEMP list, where I can think of at least a couple of people who might have useful ideas.

   Sorry I can't be more helpful.

      Cheers,

         Brendan.

--