[access-uk] Re: Access to support

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 15:26:32 +0100

Hi Andy,

I seem to recall that Action for Blind are very pro-active
in this area.  Have you tried contacting them?

George.

really
> need help from you guys!
>
> On 28 January I was interviewed by a Scottish Local
Authority
> for the post of Community Care Social Worker.  Some on the

> list wished me all the best.
>
> The same day, I was offered the post and subsequently,
> received a contract within a few days for the post of
> Community Care Social Worker.
>
> My problems started when my prospective line manager
turned
> out to be more interested in me undertaking a different
job
> than that interviewed for and that contracted to do.
>
> Since January, I have had numerous meetings with Access to

> work, an agency who will provide support for my Personal
> Assistant, and meetings with my new employer..
>
> Unfortunately, Access to work could not commence
application
> until I had a start date from my new employer, and
> unfortunately, my new employer could not provide a start
date
> until my Disclosure Scotland had come through.  In
addition,
> my Guide Dog, Nairn, became lame during this time.
However,
> although these things take time, I do feel that my
employer
> has been kicking the ball into the long grass, so to speak

> and that they are no longer interested in employing me for

> the job I am contracted to do.
>
> Since January, I have had three start dates and all have
been
> rolled back for reasons such as you cannot start without
your
> guide dog, you cannot start without your personal
assistance
> and you cannot start because your I.to equipment has not
yet
> been set up.
>
> Some may recall that my Health and Safety Assessment
> recommended that I be located on the ground floor as a
blind
> person may place able bodied people at risk, in the
> stairwell, during a fire emergency.  As a consequence, the

> Whole Community Care Team was move from the first to the
ground floor.

> My  prospective line manager had suggested that rather
than
> undertake the job I was interviewed for, the job I was
> offered and the job I was contracted to undertake, that I
> undertake a Duty Social Workers post.  As I was only
awarded
> 24 hours a week funding for my Personal Assistant, I felt
> that I could not possibly undertake this job without a
> full-time Personal Assistant.
>
> I declined the offer  a month or so ago and subsequently
fell
> out with my line manager.  Since then, I've been fighting
my
> corner.  The discrimination I am experiencing is killing
me
> and I don't have the knowledge or skill to hold them back.

> This is really getting me down folks.
>
> On Wednesday of this week, I became very upset and walked
out
> during a meeting.  I was so thrust that knowone understood
my
> needs and no one  was interested in my views.
>
> I telephoned Access to Work this morning who advised that
> they were only concerned with assessing my needs and any
> difficulties I was having with my new employer was nothing
> do with them.
>
> I telephoned my employer and spoke to the Area manager who

> advised that I presented as very aggressive during my
> interview and that caused him concern as I would be
expected
> to work with service users.
>
> I explained that I walked out because I was very upset
adding
> that I was trying to be assertive not aggressive but I was

> indeed very upset.  And that I was attempting to challenge

> negative attitudes regarding blind peoples capacity to
hold
> down a job.
>
> I now feel that I cannot possibly work with a line manager

> who has actively discriminated against me for four months
and
> I suspect that the letter which is coming to me is
> withdrawing my offer of a job.  However, I do have a
> contract. of employment.
>
> My wife is a nurse and on low income and I am on Income
> Support.  I really need help but cannot assess legal Aid
as a
> consequence of my wife's income.
> and I really feel that I need to hammer through to this
> authority that they cannot treat disabled people like
this.
> I'd like to sue the Local Authority through the DDA but
don't
> have the funds or the knowledge to do this. I'm
considering
> writing to Action for Blind People to see if they could
help
> but I thought I'd sound the list out first.
>
> I have had 13 interviews over the last four years for a
job
> and I'm a qualified social worker.  I only happen to be
> blind.  All of the interviews, apart from my ;last one in
> January, proved negative.  The newspapers say that Local
> Authorities are crying out for qualified social workers so

> why am I not working.  I firmly believe that it is because
> am a blind person.  DO YOU KNOW OF ANY SOCIAL WORKER WHO
HAS
> HAD 13 INTERVIEWS AND IS STILL UNEMPLOYED..  I bet you
don't.

> My question at last folks, is what do I do now?
>
> I'm really losing it folks and feeling very depressed,
alone
> and unsupported.
>
> Any advice would be very appreciated as I'm at my wits
end.

Date: 04/05/2005

link:-