[access-uk] Re: A more specific explanation about DVD problem

I don't believe this is normal; you should be able to play DVD's regardless of the format and/or type. The question is, does your drive support DVD-R playback? Secondly, if you've been using the Windows built-in CD writing wizard to burn DVD's, then no wonder it won't play; you need a dedicated DVD copying programme, for example WinDVD creator, in order to actually play a copied DVD, if you see what I mean. I learnt this the hard way as I bought a set of DVD-R disks to record the recovery data, which went well, but when I tried to burn a copy of some software, Windows did not want to recognize the disk; in fact, it assumed there wasn't any inserted, even though there was. To play a bought DVD, simply insert it into your drive and your DVD player should start playing it automatically. Don't have a DVD player? Windows Media Player should be able to play DVD's. However, I highly recommend trying out either WinDVD or PowerDVD, as they're fully accessible from the keyboard, which isn't the case with the Windows built-in DVD player. I hope that clears things up for you, and good luck!

Donna Waring wrote:

It struck me that I didn't explain this very well before, so hopefully this is better:

I have a Pioneer DVD/RW DVR-106D

I can read and play audio cds with this no problems.

It also recognises bought dvds, though I don't as yet know how to play these on the computer.

But, if I use a blank DVDr, it will copy stuff onto it fine, like MP3 or data files, but it won't read it. So once I've copied the files, they won't play.

Is this a normal thing to expect, or do people think there's something wrong with it?

And, incidentally, how do you play a bought dvd on the computer?

Really hoping someone can satisfy my curiosity.

Donna