[access-uk] A Word2000 problem.

  • From: chairman@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:07:38 +0100

Greetings,

Please, before making any kind of reply, read this message to the end -
thanks.

I am not familiar with many aspects of Word, I basically use very
elementary functions;  so long as what I type is presentable, correctly
typed and at least passibly good English, in general that is all about
which I am concerned, meaning, I do not use all the bells and whistles.

I now have the need to create a simple table, three columns, set to "best
fit" the text;  I want about 250 rows.

I have achieved this successfully and saved the document seemingly without
problems.

I have two machines, one a desktop with Windows98S.E the other an Evesham
laptop with WindowsM.E;  both machines have exactly the same installation
of Office2000 Pro and exactly the same installation of Jaws v4.50.

I created a much smaller table on the desktop and played about with sorts
and the like, deleted the document and all is fine.

On both machines I set up the table in exactly the same way, i.e going to
insert on the tables menu, from which I specified columns Etc., setting the
same parameters in both cases but on the desktop the resulting table was
much less as I wanted to "play" around to see how sorts would work and
found the sort will act as I wish, i.e sorting into ascending order on
column 1 and no others.

Having finished messing around, I find on going into Word documents,
whether existing or new on the desktop, all seems ok, the document is
clear, no pop-up windows, but on going into either new or existing
documents on the laptop, I keep getting messages about print preview and
tables and borders and keep getting given odd characters such as one half
and the like.

I wonder, can anybody suggest what I may have inadvertently changed in Word
to make this happen?

Please note that essentially, both systems have the same Office and Jaws
installations.

I at first suspected Jaws but then realized it must be some kind of pop-up
window.

On both systems, Office Assistant is correctly and permanently disabled.

I wonder, is there any file or something I could pick up from the desktop
and overwrite on the laptop and it would put matters right?

I do still have the disks so can reinstall (hope that will not be
necessary) or do some kind of repair.

Thanks for any help / suggestions.

All the best

from: