[access-uk] A Network Problem

  • From: "G. McFarlane" <gmcf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 04:09:10 +0100

Apologies for double posting.
Hi
I'm at a bit of a loss and hope someone has the answer.

I have a d-link wireless 4-port modem/router which as worked well for my 4 PC's
for quite a while.

2 things happened - I don't know whether any of these things are relevant.

1. One of my machines stopped functioning for the net claiming to have a DNS
problem. This was fixed by my Internet Provider wsho said they had been having
difficulties. I was given specific setting for the DNS. They worked. (Up till
then my router had assigned everything automatically.) This now is the only
machine with an assigned setting by me.

2. I installed a network laser printer and assigned it an IP number. It
appeared to work well.

At some time in the month after one of my other machines refused to connect to
the internet and my network. It claimed to have limited  or no access. I set an
IP address for it and it became connected. My network works fine on it, but I
can't get the Internet to be accessed.

I've gone into Internet options and madae sure the LAN settings are
automatically found. I've tried changing the DNS settings. I've also made a new
connection for the LAN by removing the network adapter from the System Devices
- it generates a new connection - but to no effect. I've also reset the Home
Network Wizzard, and removed the firewall (Windows) as my router has always
operated effectively in its hardware firewall. All my other machines are
working fine.

Is it:

1. A faulty router - I've changed the connections round to try other ports.
2. A problem with my network adapter.
3. A windows problem - a setting I've not yet tried.

I've even System Restored without effect.

I'm at a bit of a loss to find the answer. Do I need to reset anything?

Thanks for reading this.

Gordon McFarlane