[access-uk] 2 sound cards

  • From: "Andy" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 20:22:50 +0100

Hi all.

To get JAWS to run from on-board speakers and all other audio through my
SoundBlaster external card, using XP Home, Audrey Taunge advised, some years
ago as follows...

Firstly I certainly would put jaws through another set of speakers, the
INI file is the jfw.ini file in the jaws that you have.  You will need to
insert the line
synth1port=
followed by the exact name of your onboard soundcard.  The best way to
find this is to go to control panel then sounds and audio devices and look
for the soundcard that is the onboard one.  Virtualise the window with
insert plus control and W .  Now copy to the clipboard the exact name of
your soundcard.  Open the jfw.ini file and go down to the line that says,
Synth1LongName=Eloquence for JAWS, or it could say another name, depending
on how your jaws is set.  The important thing is the synth1 long name =.
Immediately under this line you should type
Synth1Port=
immediately followed by the name of your onboard soundcard.  This should
be placed following the = sign with no space or it will not work. The
phrase should be on a line of it's own and immediately followed by the
next line. please be very careful doing this as you could lose jaws if it
is not done correctly!  However, I do advise you to do it in this way.

I'm now running JAWS 9 on a VISTA computer.  Can anyone advise me how to go
through the same process if indeed it's possible.

Thanks.

Best wishes.

Andy