[340] Re: Some rather lovely thoughts

  • From: Luka Mili?a <lmil005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 340@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:14:39 +1200

Random is a concept that can be understood at three different Habermasian /
Churchmanian levels.  Firstly, Thilak's opinion of randomness is wholly based
on his own sincerity, in order to question his understanding one should
question his sincerity (which can be done, especially with his sarcasm).
On the social/organisational level we should consider the socially accepted
norms of randomness, this is socially constructed, that is, a level above the
personal understanding, it is a shared understanding at the level of
communities, in this case, the New Zealand society in a given demographic.
The randomness is then that as experienced by the society.  I think that the
randomness in my case was definitely there, since the girl started dancing
with me before she even talked to me or anything. Indeed, this was verified by
the odd looks of the other people on the dancefloor.
At the technical level, we should consider the definition of random, i.e. it's
truthful meaning. Dictionary.com's answer is:
"Without a governing design, method, or purpose; unsystematically: chose a
card at random from the deck."
While we could assume that there was a general "governing design" of picking
up girls when one goes out clubbing, we could question the randomness.
As a summary, the Habermasian perspectives have shown Thilak's argument to be
correct/incorrect depengin on the validty claims or guarantors one employs.
This is not uncommon and is to be expected in most problems occuring in the
social domain.  The Habermasian analysis has proven helpful, but perhaps, more
analysis should be employed at the Foucouldian analysis of Thilak's post in
the first place.

Quoting Thilak Nathen <thilak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

~=~ Wuahahhahahaha....a random chick eh? Interesting....which club wuz this
~=~ again? Get into details man, we want details.
~=~
~=~ Btw, there is no such thing as random. There's alwiz an algorithm behind
~=~ it. Hence, I conclude that a random chick is, in fact, not that random
~=~ at all...it's a product of a complex mathematical equation calculated by
~=~ nature...it's all meant to be man...it's all meant to be...
~=~
~=~ Ask Chee if you don't believe me... :) <---- Note: The smile
~=~
~=~ =20