[30daysv3] Day 27 - 4 days remaining!

  • From: Kristofer Bergstrom <kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 30daysV3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 03:17:01 -0700

Today we apply Diminishing Clicks and Hard Starts to the tekke base
beat and refine our own jiuchi.  4 days, yo.  4 days!

Kris

Q/A, Errata/Suggestions, Thoughts

Q - Now I realize that I don't know whether I should be keeping ALL my
fingers in contact with the stick throughout the upstroke &
downstroke, or only the thumb & index finger while using the middle
finger to add impetus for the downstroke. Should my grip change when I
want to play doubles? Should I be enjoying the "boing" from the stick
as it rebounds, or trying to dampen it?  Should I go back to the
vertical dribbling technique and just tough out the flailing-around
stage? -- Margaret

A - Great questions!  In terms of grip, I am trying to keep all my
fingers on the batchi at all times, in the same positions, and I don't
need to change my grip for doubles.  This has taken me a number of
years to be able to do, however.  The challenge is that every finger
must "understand" the position of the batchi at every point along the
strike.  Each finger needs to move in its own complicated path through
the air to push the stick down, and then a different path on the way
up to follow the stick rebound without getting in the way.  To get
there, the first step is to think about "dribbling" the batchi -- only
pushing down and letting the bounce do all the lifting.  In order to
achieve this, beginning players will often take one or more fingers
off the stick.  That's a good tendency in order to get the stick to
bounce freely, but then try and add one finger back at a time without
impeding the bounce.  Over time, you'll develop the dexterity
necessary to have all the fingers touching all the time, and still let
the stick bounce.  The challenge is most pronounced with light sticks.
 You can use heavy sticks to force your hands to follow along, and
then switch to lighter sticks and try and maintain the same batchi
bounce. -- Kris

Q - Am I headed for a lake of burning sulfur in the afterlife if I
reverse the Stone Killer drill to play 16 beats first, then 8 beats,
then 4?  The drill is so dull I find I'm losing the will to live
halfway through, so I hope my solution is OK....

A - You will burn!  Burn, I tell you!  And by that I mean... Great
work tailoring the drill to your own interests!  No problem switching
it around!  Never practice bored!