[30daysv3] Day 22 - Short day for Saturday!

  • From: Kristofer Bergstrom <kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 30daysV3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 10:27:34 -0700

Just a few quick drills today, including the return of one of my
favorites: the uncertain soloist.  Have fun!

Kris

Q/A, Errata/Suggestions, Thoughts

Q - When it comes to playing a straight basic (ten tsuku ten ten or
teke teke teke), one obviously aims to get R & L drumhits exactly the
same, i.e., mirror images of each other. But what about accented
basics, like ten tsuku or tekke tekke? Is there any value to making R
& L hits LOOK the same although one hand is playing louder than the
other? -- Margaret

A - This is a great question!  My basic practice philosophy is to try
and play simply, so for a given batchi height I try and always produce
a certain volume.  I raise higher for loud hits, and all hits have
more-or-less the same acceleration.  I never practice raising up high
but hitting gently, for example.
      When performing, however, I think there is room for aesthetic
adjustment and in a complicated rhythme there there will be times when
we naturally hit harder or softer for a given batchi height. -- Kris