[30daysv3] Day 11 - Timing challenge!

  • From: Kristofer Bergstrom <kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 30daysV3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 07:13:58 -0700

For the next five days we will be incorporating some timing
challenges.  These are a really fun way to improve your ability to
play shime at a constant speed, to play together with others, and to
hit precisely "in time"!

Today we start with the EOL Listening Test.  How precisely can you
hear "early" "on" or "late"?

As always, let me know if you have any questions.  Happy practicing!

Q/A, Errata/Suggestions, Thoughts

Q - As I practice I notice my right hand often has the palm facing in,
while the left is palm down. (I'm left handed) I do remember you
showing us how to play palm down at a workshop in cortez. But I
remember Kelvin saying something about the german and french grip at
sti. Which way should I be gripping the bachi? -- Kiyono

A - With regards to grip, I tend to favor the German grip over French
grip, because German feels more broadly useful to me.  In German I can
play over a wide range of hitting strengths and in a wide range of
drum positions.  For health's sake, I also want my wrists to be moving
mainly in the "paint the fence" direction, rather than the "karate
chop" direction.
      In the end though, I don't think it matters too much.  Playing
relaxed, in control, and getting the tip of the batchi to do what you
want is more critical.  We're trying to improve our dexterity, so as
long as you're paying attention to the details, any grip should get
you there.  (French grip is hard too!)  Most great drummers use both
grips, as circumstances require. -- Kris