<USS Eagle> Assignments

  • From: "Solan Dahl" <SolanDahl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:17:30 -0600

:ON:

     Tru sat in his quarters playing one of his favorite games.  He had just gotten off duty and was looking forward to enjoying alone time where he could just veg out.  Since he'd taken the Ops position, and since he'd been put in charge of Hailey, he hadn't had much time for his games.  At least not as much as he used to.  Before, people kind of looked the other ways when he played his games while on duty.  But now, he actually had some real responsibilities.  He no longer had the luxury of bending the rules like he used to.  Now, that didn't mean that he didn't bend the rules at all, or that he didn't play his games while on duty, because he did.  That was just who he was.  All it meant was that he now had much less time to do that.  Which was something that he greatly missed.
     Hailey had finished working on the shuttle with Rommie.  While she hadn't actually done much of the actual work, she had made herself look busy.  Rommie seemed to really like the attention too.  She had constantly asked him questions about what he was doing, even though to her it had been plainly obvious.  However, if she had shown her true level of knowledge there would have been much less to talk about with the new Acting Chief Engineer.  Not to mention that Commander Marqusa would probably have given her some work to do that was far away from Rommie.  She much preferred the role she had actually played.
     Hailey entered her quarters, planning on picking up a book and relaxing for a little while.  Then she remembered her homework that she still had to turn in.  It bothered her a little bit that, even though she was suppose to be on the Eagle as an "acting officer," she still had to do homework.  Oh well, that is what was required for her to gain the credits to graduate.
     "Computer, locate Lt. Lost."  Hailey stilled chuckled at thinking that "Tru Lee Lost" had been the main helmsman on the Eagle until recently.   He really did seem truly lost at times, a lot of the time.
     "Lt. Lost is located in his quarters."  The computer replied.
     Picking up a PADD, Hailey left her quarters and headed to Tru's quarters.  She knew where they were almost as well as she knew where the bridge was.  That was always where Tru usually was when he wasn't on duty or in the Eagle's Nest eating.  She could just see him sitting on his bed playing games.  She just shook her head at the thought.
     It didn't take her long to find his quarters.  She chimed the door and waited for his response.
     Tru looked up as the door chimed and then cursed a little under his breath.  The chime had come at the worst possible time.  It had made him lose his game, as it had startled him enough to hit the wrong key.  He sighed and toss the game onto his bed.
     "Come."  Tru replied as he walked towards the door.
     "Ah, Lt. Lost.  I was just looking for you," obviously since she chimed the door to his private quarters.  "I have that assignment you gave me two days ago sir."  Hailey couldn't help but smile at him.  He may be missing a little in the brains department, but he was definitely cute.  She knew she could have a lot of fun with him, if she could drag him away from the stupid games.    He was much cuter then Rommie, and he didn't stutter.  Both things gave Tru an advantage over the former ops officer.  However, Rommie was second officer and he didn't have his head lost in games.  If she had to choose, she'd definitely choose Rommie.  But . . . why choose?  There was no harm in flirting with both, and others.  Especially if that flirting granted her privileges.
     Tru had think a moment about the homework.  He thought it was silly busy work himself and if he'd been given the choice, he wouldn't have given it to Hailey.  However, the higher ups demanded all these silly nonsense stuff and constant progress reports.  Oh well.
     "Yes, thank you."  Tru said taking the PADD from the cadet.  "Did you have any difficulties with it?"  Tru knew full well that she didn't and wouldn't.  If he could spot anything, it was someone who liked to mask their true ability level.  He still wasn't sure why she did that here on the Eagle.  She had obviously shown a lot of promise in the Academy or they wouldn't have approved her for this special assignment.  Something more was going on here.  Tru just wasn't sure what that was.
     "Naw, it was all stuff that we went over in my crash course before being sent out onto this assignment."
     "Good.  Now, here's a new assignment.  I've tweaked it a little.  It shouldn't be as boring as the others.  It might actually make you work a little."  Tru said, handing her a PADD.  "When you've satisfactorily completed that assignment, there is a surprise waiting for you."
     "Ooo, as surprise huh?  What is it?"  Hailey responded with apparent excitement.  Inwardly she groaned.  Surprises didn't always go well, especially if it was Tru giving one.  She could just see him giving her one of his silly game or something along those lines.  She also didn't like the sound of his "tweaking" the assignment.  The last thing she wanted was more stupid work to do, the stuff was boring and didn't do anything for her.  She wanted real officer work to do.
     "You'll just have to wait to find out.  But I'm sure you'll like it.   I expect that you should be able to complete the assignment in 5 days if you really put your head into it.  But, I'll give you 7 days in case anything comes up."
      "How sweet of you."  Hailey said smiling.  She was sure that she could get it done in 2 days, 3 tops . . . AND she wouldn't have to really put her head into it either.  Though, she was smart enough that when she got back to her quarters she'd look at the assignment just to make sure.  The last thing she wanted as a bad report.  Hailey wasn't going to jeopardize this assignment for anything.  One black mark on your record, even in the academy, could ruin your career.   At least, it could if you wanted to make Admiral on a fast track.
     "I'll get right to work on this."  She gave him one last smile and headed out of his quarters and back to hers for that rest and relaxation she had put off.

     Tru watched her go and chuckled.  She was cute and had a lot of energy about her.  But, it was back to his games.  He wanted to beat another 2 levels before dinner time.

:OFF:

Lt. Tru Lee Lost
Ops
USS Eagle