<USS Eagle> "Officer's Mess"

  • From: Roman <RomanHaas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, RobertObrian01@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:40:14 -0400

On

Gwen took her food and headed over to an empty table in the officer's mess.  One of the few in the lunchtime crowd.  Officers on duty filled up the place.  The room wasn't as nice as as the Eagle's Nest, but then, it wasn't meant to be.  It was meant more as a place to hold the largest number of officers that the space would allow, while not making it over crowded.

Gwen set her food down on the table and took her seat.  She couldn't wait to dig into the hot potatoe chowder.  However, she did wait for Rommie to get to the table.  It was a good thing that he was right behind her though.

Haas ordered a simple bacon,lettuce and tomato sandwhich.  Another poece of Earth cuisine he became quite fond of.  He made his way to the table where Gwen was at and sat down opposite her.

Gwen smiled to him, "We definitely had an exciting day."  She took a bite of her soup.

"You can say that aain," Rommie replied.  "Quite a shocking morning i-if you ask me.  A-attacking Romulans was not how I e-envisioned my day starting."

Gwen laughed, "Yeah, me either.  It actually kind of annoyed me a little.  Especially at the end when we found out that it was only a test to show the Romulans what the TKill are like."

Haas took a bite of his sandwhich and listed to gwen.  He raised his eyebrow as he swallowed his food.  "Annoyed you a bit?"

"Well, I'm not annoyed now, but at the time I was.  I mean, there didn't seem to be a reason NOT to tell the bridge crew.  The test wasn't about how effective we would be and telling the crew wouldn't have impacted the test.  So, my thinking was 'why put us through that?'"

"Did you have a change t-to voice that to the captain?"

She smiled, "Yes.  The Captain is always very open to that."  She chuckled a little, "His answer was not what I expected either."

Rommie took a sip from his iced tea.  "Oh?"

Gwen smiled, "Yeah.  The reason . . . a dare/bet.  The captain was bet that he couldn't get his crew to cross the neutral zone and attack a Romulan Warbird, without him having to explain his actions."

Haas had been in the process of swallowing another bite as Gwen told him this.  It caught him by surprise and he nearly choked on his food.  It took him several minutes to clear his throat again (with some considerable coughing and gasping) untl he could finally say, "A dare?  A-are you serious?"

Gwen laughed, "Yes.  Apparently his cousin didn't think he could do it.

"Oh, the Captain did also mention that he wanted to know if his crew would trust him in such bizarre situations.  Though I would have thought we had shown that we would.  I mean, the Eagle sure goes through enough bizarre situations.  More then it's fair share."

"T-true," Conceded Rommie, "But you have to admit, going across the Neutral Z-zone and getting into a fracas with not one, b-but two warbirds?  That really ranks up t here as strange."

"Yeah, that does.

"Still, he could have told y-you and me," Rommie added, "or at least you."

"Yeah, but  I think he really wanted that bottle of ale that his cousin wagered."

Rommie had taken a swallow of his iced tea, which suddenly had the same efect as his piece of sandwhich.  He did hsi best not to spew his drink al over Gwen and the table.  Once finished this lastest coughing fit, he loked at Gwen again, tears still in his eyes from almost chiking.  "A-a bottle of Romulan ale?"

Gwen had to laugh at that, "You seemed surprised."

"I g-guess I am," Haas admitted.  "I always thought the captain was strictly a c-cold beer man."

"He likes other things.  I think he likes Ian's wine too.  Now that was an interesting concoction."

"All for a b-bet," Rommie said shaking his head.  "I-I guess I shouldn't be surprised when it comes to Commander Rohnok and the captain.  N-not only do they lok a lot a-alike, but they act a lot alike."  Rommie remembered the Eagle's previous encounter with the warbird ch'Bloodwing.

He and Gwen finished their lunches, letting the conversation move to other subjects like the Quidditch match.  He outlined his practice schedule to her.  Following the meal they both returned to the bridge, and duty.

OFF
Lt Commander Gwen Marqusa
Acting XO/Chief of Security

Lt. Roman Haas