<USS Eagle> Personal Log

  • From: "Gwen Marqusa" <GwenivereMarqusa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:44:08 -0500

Personal Log
Stardate 59468.21

     I need a vacation!  I'm sure I'm not the only one on this ship that needs shoreleave.  I should talk to the Commodore and see if we can schedule some shoreleave soon.  I'm not stressed out over any missions.  Those I usually find energizes me.  However, dealing with personnel issues is different.  It really drains the energy out of me.  That is one negative thing about being the first officer, dealing with crew issues.  Sure, I had to deal with some of that as the Chief of Security, but all the security officers seemed to get along.  Or if they didn't, they dealt with it through physical activities.  Sure, sometimes it was fights, and I had to split people up and put reprimands in their records, but that stuff was simple.  After the fights were over, most people were able to deal with working with each other.
     That's not the case in other departments.  They seem to be more passive aggressive and don't deal directly with their issues.  At least the ones that I have to get involved in.  Like with Melody.  She is a high maintenance officer.  It doesn't help that she's still an adolescent in her own culture.  I know that Starfleet had some qualms about allowing her in due to her maturity level.  They relented because she was the first of her species to apply to the academy and it was a public relations issue.  Also, on top of that, she has this new ability that is not common at all among her people.  That makes things much more difficult.  She doesn't know where the boundaries lie for what's appropriate and what's not.  Like the fact that in her last duty log she seemed upset because the CMO wasn't responding to her when she used telepathic communication, in fact the CMO was blocking it.  Melody seemed to think this was inappropriate.  The fact of the matter is that it's a privacy issue.  The CMO is not required to use telepathy to communicate.  To try to force that on the CMO is a HUGE invasion of privacy issue, which I am going to have to discuss with Melody.
     I wish Jev were still on the Eagle.  He was a full Betazoid and knew the code of conduct soooo much better then I did.  He was also much better at dealing with these issues then I am.  I guess I'm just going to have to do my best.  I don't think that Starfleet Academy really prepared me to deal with these types of issues.
     I really hope that the Captain grants shoreleave soon!

END Log

Lt. Cmdr. Gwen Marqusa
AXO/CSec/Tac
USS Eagle