<USS Eagle> T'Kil - "Archer's Ranch" part 1

  • From: Lukas <CaptFyrstk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "April Styles" <CommoAprlFyrstk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 20:33:42 -0400

ON

      The winds whipped over the plains, bringing with them a brisk, biting cold.  Even in the summer months, the Rocky Mountains or Wyoming weren't exactly balmy.

      Jack Archer reined in his mount, a beautiful blood bay stallion named Bonfire.  He just sat there for a few minutes, breathing deep of the sharp mountain air.  He looked back down the valley towards the ranch.  He raised a hand to shade his eyes from the sunlight.  He was surprised to see he'd left the old homestead too far for his eyesight to see.

      He looked up towards the mountains.  They were all still there, the peaks he remembered from his boyhood.  Kyrie, Thunderer, Excelsior, Epsilon, Lindbergh and Torry Peak.  Nothing had changed.  These mountains had been here long before Jack Archer had walked the Earth, and they would be here long after Jack Archer was dust.  The mountains were immortal.  They were eternal.

      It was amazing how small one could feel up here.  As had happened as a child, he felt the most awesome sense of loneliness.  One could honestly believe that they were alone in the world.  He breathed deep again, enjoying it, almost craving it.  He'd been away for far too long.  No matter where he went, nothing could ever replace these feelings, these sensations.  This was home.

      Inside the pocket of his jacket, his commbadge chirped.  Jack sighed.  As with all good things, this experience too was destined to end.  He grasped the reins with one hand, and, using his mouth to help, pulled off his glove on the other.  He reached inside and pulled out the badge and pressed it.  +Archer here.+

      +Admiral Ross here Captain.  Well, we followed your directions from Larame, and we even used a ground car as opposed to a transporter so as not to violate the Protected Environmental Area codes.  So......here we are......at an admittedly beautiful and rustic horse ranch.  Only one thing is missing Captain.  You.+

Archer suppressed a chuckle.  He'd known going for the ride was taking a big chance, but he hadn't been able to resist.  Besides, after the meeting, he doubted he would be in the mood to go.  Besides, moments like this in life were few and far between.  They were too precious to pass up.  +Understood sir.  I apologize.  I lost track of time.  Have one of the ranch hands let you into the house.  I'll be back as soon as I can.  Archer out.+

He pocketed the badge and pulled his glove back on.  He grasped the reins in both hands and whirled his mount around.  "HAHHH!!!! HAHHH!!!!"

The blood bay stallion half-reared, whinnying and snorting before breaking into a fierce gallop back towards the ranch.  Sod and earth flew up from Bonfire's thundering hooves.  The wind stung Archer's eyes, making them tear.  It was an wonderfully exhilarating ride back to the ranch.  Once there, Jack dismounted and handed the reins to old Robby who had worked here since before Jack's family had owned it.  "Give him a good rub down Robby.  He's earned it."

The old farm hand nodded, leading the lathered stallion away.  "Right n' reckon he did there young Mister Archer.  He's a right beauty this'n is."  Jack watched the old man and the young horse make their way towards the barn.  "Robby, make sure that when the fall sales come that he isn't on the list to go."  Robby nodded and waved.  "Already done made sure o' that Young Jack."

      Smiling, Archer made his way towards the house.  He could see smoke curling up from the chimney.  Someone had started a fire.  He stepped up on the porch and opened the door.

      Inside the house, there waited Admiral William Ross of Starfleet Command, Commodore Kaylan Zen, Commodore Lukas Fyrstk, Commander Anni and Lieutenant Commander Tavor.  The tall Captain strode into the living room, pulling off his gloves and heavy riding jacket.  "Sorry I'm late.  I hope you've all made yourselves at home.  I've prepared rooms for all of you, and dinner will be ready in a few hours.  And yes Mr. Tavor, we have a very nice vegetarian dish cooking for you.  Eggplant Parmesan.  Old Betty, our housekeeper, is without doubt the world's best cook."

    Lukas rose from in front of the fire place.  He had just finished putting another log on the fire. The room was just getting warm enough to make him comfortable.  He replaced the protective covering over the front and turn to look at Jack Archer.

    Tavor glanced at Archer and responded with only a raised eyebrow.  He was annoyed and irritated and doing his best to control it.  After the meeting at the Fleetyards and the approval of 'his' ship, he had expected to return back to the Patriot.  The headache was coming back and he did not want to be here.

     Kaylan had been relaxed on a soft-as-hide brown leather couch facing the stone fireplace, a small pillow tucked under her arm as she leaned on it staring into the flames.  She wore a heather grey lambswool v-neck sweater, slightly too large, and blue jeans that had been offered to her upon arrival.  After feeling the chill of the air, she had gladly accepted.  Kaylan had been deep in thought until she heard Archer's voice.  She stood up and her hands pulled down on the sleeves of the sweater until only her finger tips showed.  She wrapped her arms around herself and walked over to stand next to William Ross.

      Ross nodded, taking another sip of his scotch.  "Very nice place Jack.  Good location, good booze, good smells from the kitchen.  Now that we've gotten all that out of the way, can we please get down to business??"

      Archer frowned.  Being a Starfleet Officer, he was used to respecting his senior officers.  However, this was his home.  "By all means Admiral.  Considering the nature of the business we're discussing, I thought a neutral setting away from the eyes and ears of our modern civilization was in order.  I thought a more relaxed atmosphere might help us.  Perhaps I was mistaken."

      Jack glanced over at Tavor.  "Oh, and Commander, loose the attitude.  You're still on my naughty list for that mind meld stunt back at DS13."

    Kaylan laid a hand gently on Ross' arm closest to her in reminding him to relax.  They had been friends for a long time and she knew how strained he had been the past year and a half.   And this T'Kil threat had them all nerved up....it seemed that the past year they took turns calming and reassuring each other.  Archer's short fuse concerned her as well as Tavor's uncharacteristic demeanor.  The diplomatic skills of a past host came through now.  She quickly took in again the rustic, but comfortable feel of Archer's home.  The room they were in was wood finished, filled with wood and leather furnishings.  An Indian-looking throw blanket was thrown over the back of the couch she had been so very relaxed on, as well as on a few comfortable chairs around the room.  An Indian looking tapestry hung on one wall, more western type decorations on others; nothing was overly done.  The floors were of stone with heavy throw rugs, coloured in various shades of wood, and earthen tones.  She smiled at Archer, "Captain, you have a lovely and comfortable home.   We all have been a bit strained and I feel the atmosphere is perfect here."  She put a hand on her stomach, " How about we commence with the meeting before those good smells from the kitchen distract us even more."

Ross wasn't happy at the moment.  The ride out here had grated on his nerves.  The cold hadn't helped.  "Might I say the same for you Captain Archer.  I don't like cloak and danger tactics."

Archer took a deep breath.  "Well......considering how this entire T'Kil business was handled up till now, you could've surprised me."

     Kaylan walked away from Ross towards Lukas and let out a breath, giving Anni a frustrated _expression_ on her way.  So much for diplomacy.

      He held up his hand just as Ross was about to start.  "Admiral, let's drop all of this.  As far as I know, this meeting was supposed to be to discuss some new information that Commodore Fyrstk has uncovered.  Now, as I haven't been made aware of it yet, perhaps we should set aside all our differences and get to the matters at hand."

      Ross stared at him for a moment, then nodded.  He took another sip of his drink, then put the glass down.  "Agreed."  He looked over at Kaylan and Lukas.  "Now, as far as I know, neither the Captain nor the two Commanders have heard this yet.  So how about we start at the beginning??"

Off
Commodore Lukas Fyrstk
Commanding Officer, USS Eagle

Commodore Kayla Zen
Starfleet Command, NPC played by Dr Dominie

Captain Jackson Archer
Commanding Officer, USS Patriot

Admiral William Ross
Starfleet Command, NPC